Monday, January 31, 2005

Interesting New Article about São Paulo

Click on the post title for the link to the Jan 27 Economist. Many of my readers are friends who share my voluntary connection to Brazil, and might find this interesting.... it also has some interesting history about the growth of the city in this century, and how various public policies ahve affected the conditions there. I pulled an excerpt from the article I thought would be interesting for my federalist law students....




"Brazil's federal system does not provide for metropolitan
government. For example, while the municipality manages the city's bus network,
the state runs its trains, the metro and inter-city buses. The system links the
city to satellite municipalities, but moving between these is a nightmare. This
cuts people off from potential jobs. Likewise in health: federal funding goes
straight to municipalities in accordance with their populations, but services
are not co-ordinated."