Thursday, February 17, 2005

Airlines in Europe Must Pay Customers for Delays and Bumps

"New EU laws promising compensation of between £170 and £416 to stranded and delayed airline passengers come into force today." I can't tell you how many times I've fantasized about having a regime like that here, when I've paid $400 for what I thought was the privilege of arriving at my destination at a certain place and time, but the airline acts as though I paid for the privilege of having them as my travel companions, no matter when I leave or arrive. I use the airlines a lot and harbor a lot of resentment against them (another reason to feel passionate about the DVT cases pending in federal courts around the country). The link in the title above is for the Reuters-UK story; click here for a "Q&A" by the Guardian.

My favorite quote: "This is going to become a lawyer's field day and is why in our view the law is very bad," said Andrew Clarke, director air transport policy for the European Regions Airline Association. Unless, Mr. Clarke, I am a lawyer.