Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Best Part of Being a Law Professor...

I posted earlier about my least-favorite part of being a professor (grading exams -not because of the tedium, but because it's discouraging). But this week I had one of my favorite parts of the job: a student (3L) dropped off a copy of the academic journal that just published her article, plus a thoughtful thank-you note. I had the opportunity to help her with it (and the publication or "shopping" process) a little bit last spring. It's really rewarding to see students succeed. As a practitioner, she will have the credential of being "published" for the rest of her career. I feel deeply indebted to professors who helped me when I was in law school (with advice, or encouragement, or with my publications); I realized at some point that I couldn't repay them, but I could pass it on. And that's one of the best parts of the job, I think.